Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Up too early.

Morning temp: 55F
Afternoon high: 85F
Tonight's projected low: 59F
Humidity: 82%
Moon: 99% Full (Still a good time for transplanting!)
It's supposed to be a bit cloudy, with a North wind at 0 mph.

This Morning.
1. It's 3:50am, too early really to be up, but here I am. I do not report for Jury Duty until 1:00pm, so I have a little while to get some work done. When the sun is up, I'll perhaps try once more to cut the back lawn. As I was on my way out to do so yesterday evening, M caught me with dinner nearly made. Afterwards, both the Blueberry Grove and the Garden will need a morning watering. There may also be some laundry to hang out to dry.

2. For the time being, I'll give the article posted below, "You've Been Wonderful Neighbors", a more careful proof reading.

3. I've got several things done (it's now 10:30am), though not the lawn - I suppose this is the least interesting of my chores. Before the sun came up, I read a good bit of the Bentwood book. It's amazingly simple, and elegant. I went outside about 8:00am, covered two of the Blueberry Bushes with a small portion of netting that J found in the back corner of the shed, and then moved two of the Posts in closer to the Blueberry Grove (BBG). J and are (finally) ordering a 14' X 100' section of bird netting from a vendor he found on-line ($52, the best deal yet by far), and we need to cover as much of the BBG as is possible with this.

4. I sunk two posts about 18' apart in front of the Garden. The first post was a 4' X 4' section of untreated Cedar, the second was a trunk-portion of similar dimensions from the Pipeline (I'm not certain what kind of wood it is, but it's heavy). I also dug a third post-hole half-way between these first two, giving me about 9' spacing between fence posts. This third post-hole remains unfilled, as I was not happy with anything I'd found thus far. I'll look around again this evening after I return home from Jury Duty. There's a Sweetgum Tree out past the Garden (and out past the lone BB) with three separate trunks, each of which is fairly thin, and one of which seems dead. I may cut this off and use it for fence posts. We'll see. This time I'm sinking my fence posts first, letting them settle in for a week or so, and meanwhile building the 9' sections of fencing (basically, a top and bottom beam parallel with the ground, with as many vertical members fastened into them as I'd like) separately and then attaching the pre-built fence sections to the fence posts. We're already seeing signs of Rabbits munch on our Basil, so the sooner this project is completed the better.

5. I hung out some laundry to dry, and left for the Courthouse by 12:00pm, stopping to meet my friend KP for a brief cup of ice coffee along the way.

This Afternoon.
1. I was not selected for JD, and thus was home by 3:15pm! Since then, I've been cutting and assembling bentwood pieces into the first section of fencing (the horizontal rails I'm cutting at 122", and the vertical pieces at 50"). I've already learned some lessons, e.g., make the vertical pieces that "fill in" between the top and bottom horizontal rails thin enough so that your nails go well through them and fully into the rails. Otherwise, you need to wrap these pieces with wire (12 gauge or so), which in turns seems to require a second nail, with the head left 1/4 of the way backed out, to wrap the wire around around. It's much neater to use vertical pieces that aren't too thick for the nails you're using. I hope to have one 9' section of fencing assembled this evening. We'll see how long my energy lasts.

No comments: